Friday, May 17, 2019

Busted

Taking a break from the Fire Raptor, started on something a little different:






I think the eyes are a bit high in the skull, will have to bring them down.
Scale is around 1:7, as near as I can tell.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Photoshoot

Construction is complete, the only thing missing is the mounting bracket for the flyer base on the bottom. The acrylic rod I ordered arrived today, so that'll be done soon.
Next step is primer application...








Some more photos available at the buildlog on papermodelers, or over at coolminiornot.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Slice'nDice

The pilot, made from a cast of the gunner mold, with the arms chopped and re-glued, and pelvis structure added.






As before, there are a couple of bubbles in the cast - the pitfalls of silicone / resin casting without a vacuum or pressure pot. These will be cleaned up once I prime him and can tell where they are :)

At this point the Fire Raptor is about 99.9% structurally finished. The only part left really is the mount point for the flight stand. Once this is done I'll prime the whole shebang, ready for painting.

Monday, May 6, 2019

Small aquilla

Small aquilla for the Fire Raptor






There are three of these needed, so I made the master (left), then a mold (right), and then pressed some apoxie sculpt into the mold. I then covered a piece of card with Elmer's school glue stick, and pressed that on the back of the apoxie. This allowed me to pull the cast out of the mold easily (bottom). After the apoxie had cured, I then dropped the card+cast into a cup of water, to let the glue dissolve. A bit of clean up, and the final cast goes on the model (top).

Here's another one:


Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Adding open engine detail

It's been a busy couple of weeks; family, work and tax season got in the way.

Finally started back up on the Raptor, adding some details to the exposed engine parts on the top hull. In the Forgeworld model, there is not much detail, just an exposed pipe, but I wanted something more like the exposed engine pits on the Millennium Falcon, ie. exposed detail that suggests more underneath.


Not sure that I pulled that kind of masterpiece off :) but I think it looks pretty good so far. The piping is made from electrical wire, the sleeves from either paper tubes or plastic tubing. Some card, some paper, etc. for the fan intakes. It marries pretty well with the engine detailing.

Needs a bit more paneling on the back section. A detail view:


Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Dreadnought, take 2

UPDATE: fixed the title. "Dreadnough" sounds like confectionary :)

The previous dreadnought I built was pretty much straight up from the Drednoyt III Patoroch template, and it worked out pretty well: I even made a garage mold from the parts and successfully did a cast too (primed model here). However I have a specific project for the master, and got back to working on it recently.

To my dismay I discovered that the master has lots of little bits of silicone stuck to it, which is a pain to remove. I think it happened because I didn't (a) coat the master properly with a varnish and (b) didn't use enough mold release. Thus the surface of the master is quite rough in places, allowing the silicone to stick to it and tear off the mold. Keep in mind this is caulking silicone, thinned (ie. weakened) with naptha, so it doesn't have a high tear strength.

So having learned from my previous attempt I set out to rebuild the dreadnought, starting with the main body. However this time I knew what I was aiming for, so I pretty much started scratchbuilding right away.  I borrowed some bits from the template I had used before.

The main thing I did different was to make the parting line between the bottom and top half way more interesting, with a circular cut on the sides, and indented cuts at the front and back. I also (at the last minute) decided to use the mouth/teeth shapes of the dreadnought as a kind of interlocking mechanism when the body is closed.

This should make for an interesting look when the model is posed with the "cockpit" open: the dready should look like a gaping jaw that is about to swallow the pilot (or what's left of the pilot, dreads being walking tombs for slain warriors).

I'm pretty excited about this; I plan to scratchbuild the legs and weapons as well, and only re-use the shoulders and waist from the Patoroch template. If I get around to it I might publish the modified template too.

Enough talk, let's have some pictures:



Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Engine exhausts

Nothing better than a greeblied engine


The only thing it needs now is more greeblies.
More photos here.



Thursday, March 14, 2019

Engine intakes

The engine intakes on the Fire Raptor take shape:

They were designed from scratch in openSCAD, and look a bit nicer than the ones from the template

More in-progress shots at the build-log.

I should maybe do a short tutorial on how my design workflow for parts like these...

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Cannons

The Raptor has some cannons coming:

Also, a new canopy, some landing gear, engine and the ball turret gunners are done:

More pictures and wip talk at the build log: #49, #50, #51 and #52