Primed and gap-filled dready

A coat of gray primer showed up a fair amount of tiny bubbles on the surface of the parts, again more so toward the parts that I cast first.

I believe a couple of things led to this: first I was a bit frantic in mixing the resin, since I know I have very limited pot-life before the resin starts setting. So I may have mixed a bit too hard, creating lots of bubbles in the mix. Second, and maybe more importantly, I didn't have a very precise scale, which meant I had to eyeball the quantities of the two resin parts.

Both of these are beginner's mistakes, so I won't be too hard on myself. In future I just have to remember to (a) mix accurately and (b) stir slowly.

Not that this will completely eliminate the bubbles; for that I will need a pressure pot. But this is casting on-the-cheap, so maybe one day when my ship comes in.

To fill the bubbles, I mixed up a bit of glue and gray paint, and then carefully applied this as thin as I could over the model. Next up is painting time.



No comments:

Post a Comment